Dating in dutchess county
He donated land for the Dutch parsonage and burial grounds. Between the voyages of the Half Moon and the Clermont there were two centuries when sloops conducted much of the river traffic. In its simplest form, it is a vessel of one mast, carrying a mainsail, jib, and generally a topsail. Sloops were a favorite means of travel, and for the shipping of light articles, parcels, and letters.
Frequently, better time was made the sloop than by the stagecoach.
During the 1800s, the city became a factory town and was known as "The Hat Making Capital of the US" with nearly 50 hat factories operating at one time.
During the 1960s, urban renewal led to the destruction of some significant historic buildings.
The area known as Beacon was settled by Europeans as the villages of Matteawan and Fishkill Landing in A. Beacon is located in the southwest corner of Dutchess County in the Mid-Hudson Region, approximately 90 miles (140 km) south of Albany, New York, and approximately 60 miles (97 km) north of New York City.
In 1683, the land that would come to include the City of Beacon was purchased from the Wappinger tribe by Francis Rombout and Gulian Verplanck, merchant-fur traders from New York City.
Wheat and corn were ground into flour and meal, and shipped to New York.
In 1748, Madam Brett, with eighteen others, entered into an agreement for the building of the Frankfort Store House.
Rombout died in 1691, leaving his share to his daughter, Catharyna, who later married Roger Brett, an officer in the Royal Navy.The Caroline, built by John Peter De Wint and named in honor of his daughter, once made the sixty miles from New York to Fishkill Landing in five hours.Matteawan was situated on the Fishkill Creek about a mile and a half east of Fishkill Landing, and a like distance above the mouth of the creek, whose hydraulic properties contributed to its development as a manufacturing center.The ferry's route runs between Beacon City Harbor and Newburgh City Waterfront.
The city served a variety of roles during the Revolutionary War.
It lay at the foot of the Fishkill Mountains, and was a station on both the Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut, and the New York & New England Railroads, and was connected with the Fishkill Landing by stage, and rail.